Wednesday, November 16, 2011

THE GOAT-BOY'S BUCOLIC


THE GOAT-BOY'S BUCOLIC


I was a kid, and I was half-lost
in every unfriendly pasture, and
mostly, mister, they were unfriendly.
Holsteins spotted me as fast

as boys in pick-ups pounded freaks.
The cows would roll their stupid eyes
and chew like mad.  I'd kick up heels
through slop.  Then they'd kneel down to cuss.

I was a kid, and I was half-lost
in every drunken barnyard where
the old man and his buddies bragged
about their acres, tractors, herds,

and chug-a-lugged.  They hooted when
I spit up brew.  You're not a man,
they cackled.  Man, I trotted off.
Their rubber boots smelled worse than beer.

I was a kid, and I was half-lost
on every unpleasant hillside where
the probably-lopsided sheep
uprooted banks, laughed sadder laughs

than women I'd meet in redneck bars--
but that was later.  Farm boys winked.
They'd fleece me, too, just like they fleeced
their darlings.  Well, I hoofed downhill.

I was a kid, and I was half-lost
in every catch-all front yard where
the weeds were high as rusty cars.
When Out-of-Staters parked to buy

THE GOAT BOY’S BUCOLIC


our trinkets and our squash, they'd ask,
What chores can you do, son?  You bet
I galloped fast behind a wreck.
(They never clicked my photo, sir.)

I was a kid, and I was half lost
in every late night parking-lot
where guys named Hoss and Slim would squeal
their Dusters out, and all the girls

were kissing, friend, like mongrel dogs
that yap in kennels.  And if I butted
in, guys howled, Who's horny now?
Oh, yes sir, I hightailed it home.


L'Envoi
Stranger, in this nervous state
where German shepherds govern lawns
and rampage over flower beds
when a hitch-hiker, a lonely wolf,

stalks backwards up a curvy road,
and where the tourists brake and aim
their cameras at the wreathed barbed wire
or toward the unrepaired white church,

I figured out the law.  Oh, watch
the half-breeds reel (as natives point)
bamboozled from the gin mill, sir.
This country tends to oddities:

folks keep them trained in cross-hair sights.
And when I noticed curtains pulled
and windows glaring, I neighed loud:
Kid Brother, beat it down the line.


Jack Hayes
© 2010

This poem originally appeared in Timbuktu

No comments:

Post a Comment