Thursday, January 19, 2012

DESERT LIFE

The fall came, for me, often down
Inside.  Then, deranging, stranger, this penitentiary,
Furnished barely and haunting, this desert,
This house concealed me.  Okay, unworldly cell,
Knocked-out almost, next to the furious gas stove,
I fell for visions more hermetic than sacred,

While trees got themselves naked.
Sentenced, rapt, withdrawn,
Conjuring virgins, my God, no God could approve,
Topsy-turvy, floored in ecstasy,
I eyed, across ascetically plastered walls,
Angels falling through cracks to flirt,

And keeping my eyes peeled hurt.
Under the table and curtains, broken as bread,
I fasted, except for spoonfuls,
And, stranger, I held my own,
Squinted toward sexy trees, for angels unmerci-
Ful climbed white walls for love.


Jack Hayes
© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment